Friday, April 21, 2006

NBA Postseason: I'm hoping for some of that fantastic stuff

What to do, what to do? Who do I root for in the upcoming NBA postseason? My Utah Jazz are out, so the question is what would make for an entertaining postseason?

The favorites to play in the finals have to be the Pistons and the Spurs. While I think both of these clubs are efficient, well coached, excellent teamszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....oh I'm sorry, did I nod off? Yeah. They are boring. Nobody on either team except the Spurs guard's Manu Ginoboli and Tony Parker are remotely fun to watch. And even those two don't make up for the overall snooze play of their team. Sorry Piston and Spur fans, but while theoretically the two best teams squaring off against each other should be great theater, I would say: wake me when it's over. I think this would be much like if the team I root for (the Jazz) were good enough to be there. While it might be exciting for me, the rest of the country would be fast forwarding their TiVo's.

So if I don't think the two best teams would be great to watch, who would I like to see in the finals? How about the Cleveland Cavaliers or the Miami Heat against either the Phoenix Suns or the Los Angeles Lakers. This would give us an extended look at Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant or a fun to watch Phoenix team. Now that's drama, highlight reel type plays, and made for tv games. Even Dallas might be fun just to see how much more of an idiot Mark Cuban could be.

Sure I'm shallow and don't understand how efficient, defensive basketball should be appreciated and not scorned. I know, I know, great team basketball is what the sport should be all about. Some would point to the great teams in the 80's like the Celtics and Lakers who played basketball this way. But they would be forgetting one thing. Those NBA finals involved Magic and Bird. That's what really made those series into what they were. It's exciting players on good teams that make the NBA fun to watch. Now maybe this means a Kobe led Laker team shouldn't qualify because the team in essence, really isn't that good. All I have to say to that is this: 81 point game. The Bulls in 1986 weren't that good either but Jordan's 63 point game against the Celtics still stands out. That's what I want for this postseason. Something memorable. Team basketball is nice and all but sometimes you just want to watch someone go off.


So castigate me if you must, but I freely admit I would love to see Lebron and Kobe with 40 + points in game 7 of the finals, matching each other shot for shot. I'm kinda stupid that way.

No comments: