Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Lacrosse. Getting Headlines the Wrong Way.

Lacrosse and major sports story seem like words that don't belong in the same sentence. Normally that would be true. But then you add the words: Duke, rape, black stripper, rich white kids, dna evidence; and you've got yourself some tantalizing reading.

As of today it seems like the D.A. will have a tough time proving in court these kids had anything to do with a rape. Unless further evidence comes out, reports say that there is not DNA linkage, that there may even be evidence that one of the players indicted wasn't even at the party and that the other may not have been there at the time of the alleged rape. If this is true then the D.A.'s office is going to look like idiots in court. These kids got some heavy duty lawyers and we all know what good lawyers can do even with evidence that seems to be slam dunk worthy (see O.J. Simpson). The D.A. doesn't have that kind of evidence so the only conclusion I can come to is that he is worried politically and socially what would happen if they didn't charge somebody with something. Race and politics seem to be ruling the day here. I'm glad I don't have the D.A.'s job. If you do nothing you may not make it through the next election (which is soon) and the city could see protests that may even get violent. If you go ahead with the prosecution you may be committing career suicide anyway because the next election will bring up this trial which promises to be a debacle.

Who knows what really happened at that party. That's probably the one thing that won't get decided. I'm guessing that some (if not many) Duke Lacrosse players are a bunch of rich, egotistical, chauvinistic, bigoted dirtbags who are probably capable of rape. I'm guessing that many black and white folks in North Carolina have very different opinions on this matter. I'm guessing that Roger Cossack will continue to annoy me on ESPN. I'm guessing that this story will drag on for awhile.

I know that as interested as I am to see how it turns out, I'm already sick of writing this much about it. Can't we do this "CSI" style and get the result in under an hour?

No comments: